Read the following text. Choose the best word (s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on the ANSWER SHEET. (10 points)
Even if families are less likely to sit down to eat together than was once the case, millions of Britons will none the less have partaken this weekend of one of the nation's great traditions: the Sunday roast. __1__ a cold winter's day, few culinary pleasures can __2__it. Yet as we report now, the food police are determined that this __3__ should be rendered yet another guilty pleasure __4__ to damage our health.
The Food Standards Authority (FSA) has __5__ a public warning about the risks of a compound called acrylamide that forms in some foods cooked __6__ high temperatures.This means that people should __7__ crisping their roast potatoes, spurn thin-crust pizzas and only __8__ toast their bread. But where is the evidence to support such alarmist advice? __9__ studies have shown that acrylamide can cause neurological damage in mice, there is no __10__ evidence that it causes cancer in humans.
Scientists say the compound is "__11__ to be carcinogenic" but have no hard scientific proof. __12__ the precautionary principle, it could be argued that it is __13__ to follow the FSA advice. __14__, it was rumored that smoking caused cancer for years before the evidence was found to prove a __15__.
Doubtless a piece of boiled beef can always be __16__ up on Sunday alongside some steamed vegetables,without the Yorkshire pudding and no wine. But would life be worth living? __17__, the FSA says it is not telling people to cut out roast foods __18__, but to reduce their lifetime intake. However, their __19__ risks coming across as exhortation and nannying. Constant health scares just __20__ with no one listening.
1. A In B Towards C On D Till
2. A match B express C satisfy D influence
3. A patience B enjoyment C surprise D concern
4. A intensified B privileged C compelled D guaranteed
5. A issued B received C ignored D canceled
6. A under B at C for D by
7. A forget B regret C finish D avoid
8. A partially B regularly C easily D initially
9. A Unless B Since C If D While
10. A secondary B external C inconclusive D negative
11. A insufficient B bound C likely D slow
12. A On the basis of B At the cost of C In addition to D In contrast to
13. A interesting B advisable C urgent D fortunate
14. A As usual B In particular C By definition D After all
15. A resemblance B combination C connection D pattern
16. A made B served C saved D used
17. A To be fair B For instance C To be brief D in general
18. A reluctantly B entirely C gradually D carefully
19. A promise B experience C campaign D competition
20. A follow up B pick up C open up D end up